“No wonder you go on Skype dates.”
I was on Facebook today and saw something that kind of appalled me. This is more of a marijuana related item, but since I don’t write show notes for the Hot Box, I figured I would share it with you here. So as you all may or may not know, the Montana legislature is looking at the medical marijuana law. Some people want to repeal it, others say its fine the way it is, while others want to keep the law, but fix it some. So on the Montana Medical Growers Association Facebook page I saw this quote from House District 18 (Great Falls MT) representative Jesse O’Hara, who is a republican that blew my fucking mind. When asked what his stance is on HB33 and medical marijuana, he replied,
“I will vote to repeal the law. I do not want people on our roads that are under the influence.”
Are you fucking kidding me? The bullshit reason you give us is that you don’t want people on our roads that are under the influence? How is it that people who are so uninformed and misinformed are the ones making our laws? That blows my fucking mind. How long have you been regulating alcohol, and how many people die from that every year? How many people are out on our streets and highways driving drunk because they can drive themselves to a bar and purchase alcohol all night long? A bunch. Do you understand that I can have marijuana in my system and still not be impaired? Do you understand that I can have marijuana in my system TODAY for cannabis I smoked LAST MONTH? How is that OK? Guess how many people have been killed by marijuana? Still 0. How can you logically argue with that? This isn’t the 1950’s and 60’s where you can make up ridiculous bullshit lies, and expect we the blind tax paying sheep will believe them and thank you for keeping us safe. No sir, we are much more educated than we were in the past, and we have armed ourselves with tools of knowledge, so when our government tells us things, we no longer blindly follow. We google the fuck out of that shit. We find the information for ourselves, then we make informed decisions on what to do. So when you tell us that marijuana is harmful and should be schedule one because there is no accepted medical benefit from it, you had better have some hard scientific evidence to back that up. These people making our laws have things so ass backwards it’s amazing any of us are still alive right now. This is 2011, and we will no longer let our government lie to us and make criminals out of good hard working honest people. We’re pissed off, and we’re not going to take it anymore.
I wrote a letter to Republican representative Jesse O’Hara. I highly suggest you all do the same. Here is his contact information. I am also going to post my letter, because I think it’s very important that when we write to people like this, we don’t tell them off. We try to be as respectful (as hard as that might be, seeings how you should earn respect, not buy it), and we try to kindly educate them. I would not have sent what I just wrote as show notes to him, because that would be counter productive. So please, if you are going to take the time to write to people in power like this, write it as if you were writing to your grandmother.
His email address is email@example.com, his fax number is 406-444-4825 and his actual phone number is 406-761-0088. Please, we need to educate these people before they make the wrong decision and force marijuana back underground. DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN. Here is my letter:
Hello, I recently saw your quote on your position on HB33 and medical cannabis. You stated you will vote to repeal the law because you don’t want people on our roads under the influence.
I feel that regardless of whether medical cannabis gets repealed in the state, you will always have people under the influence. Look at how long alcohol has been regulated, and how many traffic fatalities are caused from drunk drivers. I’m sorry, but if given the chance, I would much rather get in the car with someone who has been smoking cannabis than someone who had been drinking alcohol. I am a medical cannabis patient and I drive for my day job doing deliveries. I smoke every day, and even though I have cannabis in my system, I am NOT impaired. Cannabis does not effect my driving in the least. In fact I’ve found that it is quite the opposite.
I know to you I am just a random email, and my evidence is anecdotal at best, but please, I beg you to re think your stance on this issue. I understand that different substances effect people differently, but in the end, just like with alcohol, that decision has to be made responsibly by the person driving. Repealing the medical cannabis law in Montana will do nothing but take away medicine from people who really need it, and that is a step backwards.
I have lived in the Flathead Valley for many years, long before there was medical cannabis, and I know for a fact that if people want to smoke cannabis, they are going to smoke it regardless of the law. There is no sense in creating criminals out of normal every day productive members of society. We know for a fact backed up by sound scientific evidence, that cannabis is one of the safest substances known to man. It will be far more productive and beneficial for the community if we can use this new industry to create jobs and give people a safe alternative to many of the pharmaceuticals they are taking. Please if nothing else, read the book My Medicine by Irvin Rosenfeld. In there you will find many studies about how safe and effective cannabis is in treating a long list of ailments and symptoms.
Thank you for your time in reading this.
A concerned, daily cannabis smoking, productive member of the Flathead Valley.
So yea, that’s how it’s done, notice how I kept my tone very respectful, and refrained from using slang or swear words. I know it’s hard, but that’s how politics is played. And now, the notes. This was an epic episode of the Jamhole for many reasons.
- Welcome to a very special, history writing episode of the Jamhole. Because we are now under contract with Jamhole Corporate to have at least One black person on every year, and because it is Martin Luther King day, and also because we’ve NEVER had a black person on the show before (Not my fault), let’s welcome the Internet’s number 1 advisor, the great Oh Doctah! The good Doctah aka Owen J.J. Stone can be found all over the internet. Check out the Oh Doctah show and get all of your questions answered. Like his Facebook page, and follow him on Twitter. I feel much better about everything now that Oh Doctah is a friend of the Jamhole. Life is going to be ok.
- Oh yea, Brayden also joins us this evening. I enjoy it when Brayden comes back to do shows with us.
- It’s a small fucking world. Oh Doctah’s grasp even reaches Kalispell Montana. He might also be Danni’s cousins’ baby daddy.
- Yes, Montana has a wicked meth problem, among other things. I like how the mayor didn’t want the city to be known for medical marijuana, but they are totally down with putting these nasty billboards everywhere.
- Everything is bullshit. I am what I say I am. Not sure what the statute of limitations is on arson, but if Montana burns anytime soon, I’m looking at you.
- Parents can do some fucked up shit if they don’t like who you are dating. Especially if they are racially motivated. Do unto others right?
- So what exactly is this show about? Yea, it’s a comedy show, don’t worry about it. We’ll get to the funny when we have a minute. The fans are patient.
- Let’s talk about why every Martin Luther Kind street is a fucking ghetto. I really look forward to the day we have our very own Martin Luther King Boulevard.
- What does Oh Doctah think about medical marijuana? The medical part is bullshit, if you want to smoke weed, then just smoke weed. What’s the fucking problem?
- That raps up the Jamhole’s first black guest. Thank you Oh Doctah, we had a blast.
- Danni met Ed Bland from the chat, in real life! It’s always fun to meet our listeners. Danni also got her super sweet skin for her netbook. Thanks Berger! Come join the Forums and interact with all of the Jamhole listeners!
- I like how this company works. They sent me bullshit junk mail, but attached to it was two, one dollar bills. You can send me whatever the fuck you want as long as there is money attached to it. I wish I wouldn’t have thrown it out, I could have made some real money, filling out bullshit surveys.
- The Get Poetry open mic poetry slam at the Boiler Room on Sunday was awesome! You can check out the playlist with all of our poets, or watch individual poets. Mine is here if you’re curious. I got them all done! For more information, check out the Facebook event for Get Poetry and like the page.
- Ok, you want a podcast war, we’ll give you a podcast war. Honestly, it’s more like a tiny friendly skirmish. Just for our friends over at Am I Bugging You? Seriously though, you can’t even think about Danni until you have over 100 episodes. Plus, you might want to ask Eddie to take the dick out of his mouth when he podcasts, it’s kind of hard to understand him. If this continues any further, I will rap battle you.
- Mommy and daughter tag team animal torture case. They actually lived with the corpses. That’s what I have a problem with, you couldn’t even throw away the corpses. If you wanted to keep them, you should have them taxidermied. No, I’m a sheep HERDER.
- Best xmas present EVER! Thank you Mexican drug cartels, and the war on drugs that fuels their African American Market economy. I believe the comedy starts right about here. See, those who are patient are awesomely rewarded.
- Pardon me while my cat holds my calls. That was more of a visual thing. That’s why you should watch the live shows.
- Two weird suicides I’d like to present to you. This guy stabbed himself in the chest. The elderly woman jumped out of her third story window. All we are in dust in the wind.
- God sure does work in mysterious ways. Hey honey, did you hear that pop? Wow, all three of them, just like lemmings.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org and please spread the word. Help us pay some bills to keep the show nice and fast for your downloading pleasure. Make sure you are subscribed to the feed, and if you can, give us a review on Itunes. They help us be seen by new people who might enjoy the show.